Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pan Seared Scallops with Coconut Cauliflower Puree and Dill Veggies


This is my seventh day on the Whole 30 plan.  Today I had my first craving for carbs and an almost desperate flash to get crackers.  The need came and went quickly.  I observed it with interest wondering what the trigger was.  Likely, it was the workshop I attended.  At lunchtime the smell of their lunch wafted throughout the room.  And while I was driving home, it triggered. 

I don't cook scallops.  Ever.  This was my first time.  I always think of them as fancy and upper class.  They seemed unreachable.  But this plan is stretching my culinary skills so why not?  This was delicious.  The sweetness of the scallops, the spicey fresh dill and the coconut creamy puree were heavenly. 

All the food that I have had on this plan so far is delicious.  It definitely doesn't feel like a diet. 

What you need...

2-3 cloves garlic smashed and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
small head of garlic cut into to smaller pieces
1/2 can of coconut milk

10-11 Scallops
1 tablespoon clarified butter

4 carrots cut into chips
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
3-4 tablespoons fresh dill chopped

Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional:
1 avocado
1 cup sweet olives (or your favorite)

To do...
1.  In a pot saute the garlic in the coconut oil for a minute.
2. Add the cauliflower and let it cook until the garlic is golden but not burnt
3.  Add the coconut milk, cover and let simmer until the cauliflower is soft.
4.  While this simmers steam the carrots with a tablespoon of dill in a steamer for 15 minutes.
5.  While the carrots are cooking, melt the clarified butter in the pan at medium heat.
6.  Add the scallops and pan sear them until one side is golden, then the other (10 minutes max).
7.  Remove them from the heat. 
8.  When the cauliflower is soft, puree them in the pot with a hand blender. 
9.  Assemble the plate, start with a bed of carrots, top with the puree, place the scallops on top, sprinkle with tomatoes and then dill. 
10.  Salt and pepper to taste. 
11.  To add more fat sprinkle with avocado and olives to taste. 

Definitely worth doing again and my husband said it was something to serve to guests for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment