Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chicken and Pineapple

So today I broke a 19 year love affair with aquatarian/vegetarian life to experiment with the Whole30 wholly.  Such a meaty diet deserves some compromise to see if it works.  I have been eating seafood everyday for four days and I just get tired of it.  So today, it was a break with history to rediscover chicken.  I confess my gut needed to adjust a bit to it but my taste buds enjoyed it. 

Here is how it went...

1 lb thin sliced chicken breast (my husband insisted that breast is better than thigh)
a spoonful of clarified butter
3-4 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped
1/3 onion chopped
1/2 small maui pineapple chopped
3/4 red pepper
1/4 cup basil coursely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds

To do...
1. Pan sear the chicken at medium heat in the clarified butter.  Turn over when it is a gold brown.  Brown evenly on both sides.  Remove from pan. 
2.  Add garlic and onion to remaining fat and let it cook for half a minute.
3.  Add pineapple and red pepper.  Let it heat up and reduce, the flavors really combine.  About 10 minutes for real flavor, this gets better the longer you let it sit.
4.  Add the basil and cook another couple of minutes.
5.  Top the chicken with the pineapple and sprinkle with slivered almonds. 

I served this with steam beans topped with clarified butter and let the almonds flavor them as well.  Satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment