Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crab, Spinach and Coconut Salad

Crab, Spinach and Coconut Salad

I'm learning that when ordering at a restaurant the Nicoise salad is a good choice without the potatoes.  I had one last night at the 35th Street bistro with cold smoked salmon but the warm green pesto topped salmon Nicoise at the Nordstrom cafe was even better today at lunch. I love olives. 

So, inspired by the Nicoise but working with what was in my refrigerator.  I made this salad for dinner. 

To start combine the following in a bowl:
  1. A couple handfuls of baby spinach, washed and spun dry
  2. 1 nectarine chopped
  3. 1/2 a mango chopped
  4. 1/2 cup basil chopped
  5. 1/2 lb crab meat precooked and sweet
  6. 1 bell pepper chopped
  7. 1/2 cup sweet green olive.  (I love these olives, they are bright green and sweet and I need to find out their name)
  8. 2 hard boiled eggs sliced
  9. 1/3 cup coconut flakes
To make the dressing:
  1. Combine 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar with a 1/4 cup avocado oil. 
  2. Toss completely so all leaves are slathered. 

I enjoyed the sweetness of the fruit and crab and if the spinach is completely saturated with the dressing it cuts the bitterness of the spinach.  Very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment